For those looking to include a pet or pets in their wedding day or private event festivities, we have established some guidelines to ensure that both people and their pets have a great experience.
1. Dogs Only. Sorry cat people! We love sweet kitties, but for now, we only allow people-loving, well-behaved dogs to participate.
2. Your dog must be on a leash at all times. Lots of people, flashing lights, music, mean fun for you and your guests but can be very stressful for your dog, so you will need to make sure that they feel comfortable and stay calm. You will also need to have a back-up plan, just in case…whether that means bringing a crate for emergencies, or having a designated driver to take them home if necessary.
3. A dedicated handler is required on the day of your event. We suggest that this person is not in your immediate family or wedding party as they may need to take your dog home just before, during or after an important moment of the day. We don’t want your family to miss anything so please work with a professional dog sitter or a friend who would be okay if they missed part of the wedding day.
4. Depending on your caterer, dogs may not allowed indoors where food is prepped and presented. Unfortunately, dogs are also not allowed in The Ruby Chapel, food or no food. Red carpet and dog hair just don’t mix. Well, they actually DO mix, which is the problem. Sorry about that.
5. All dogs must be approved in advance of your event. Please talk to us about how you wish to include him or her so that we can plan accordingly.
6. We reserve the right to have your dog removed from the property. While your dog may be perfectly behaved at home, sometimes, when in a different environment or with a different handler, their behavior can be unpredictable. There are different stress triggers for animals and it is important to us that both you and your pet are safe and happy on such an important occasion. You also need to consider your guests. Not everyone loves dogs as much as we do (gasp!) and we need to be mindful of everyone’s needs in order to be gracious hosts.
We hope this helps you in thinking through the pros and cons of including your pet in your wedding or at your event. One of our primary goals at The Heirloom Hideaway is to minimize stress on your special day, not add to it. So, please read through our pet policy and thoughtfully consider if you think it makes sense to include your dog.
If you have any doubt that you can meet these criteria, don’t worry! There are other ways to celebrate with your pup. For instance, consider including them in your engagement photos. You may find that a setting with just a few people works better so both you and your pup can relax and enjoy the experience. Our Micro-Wedding & Reception packages include a 2-hour photo-shoot at our property with your photographer, which would be a great opportunity to get pictures with your pup.